Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Manga

Manga has probably had the largest amount of influence on my generation.  My first exposure to manga and anime was around the age of six when my family was stationed in Japan.  I remember turning on the TV one Saturday morning expecting my usual shows only to be confused and fascinated by shows such as DBZ and Pokémon.  The manga I chose was Death Note, which was recommended to me by a few friends of mine.  I was unable to finish it but I was hooked shortly after the first few pages.  Stylistically it was pretty traditional but it also incorporated an element of macabre that I’m always drawn to.

It’s always nice to have low expectation and then become pleasantly surprised.  The writing style makes the reader omniscient.  We are able to see both sides of the investigation.  Knowing what each faction is capable of as the protagonist and the arch nemesis try to discover each other’s identities first.

No comments:

Post a Comment